James Yerucham Wales
(born August 17, 1962
) is an American entrepreneur, best known for founding Wikipedia
, the world's third-most popular
Wales for born in Huntsville, Arkansas
, the son of a coal
miner, Horace, and a school teacher, Doris. As a child, Wales liked reading, table tennis
, and encyclopedias. His favorite book was Tome 10 of the Encyclopedia Britannica
. After graduating his high school class as a valedictorian, Wales attended the Indiana State University
on a table tennis scholarship
Whilst at college, Wales became a practicing Wiccan
. Not able to find a job after graduation, he re-discovered his early love and created "Wiccapedia"
, an online encyclopaedia
devoted to Wicca. Wales wrote the articles himself, but the web site did not get many readers.
On a whim, Wales decided to expand Wiccapedia to include all subject matter
. Soon after the re-launch of the newly-branded "Wikipedia", the first two articles written by someone else appeared: Barbra Streisand
Wales currently lives on Guam
, where he works as a dental hygienist. He is married to his fourth wife, Christine, an anti-Internet lobbyist
. Wales is a father of three children and a pet chihuahua
. He identifies as Jewish
1. ^ Wikipedia. "Jimmy Wales". Retrieved July 7, 2011.
2. ^ Wikipedia. "Wikipedia". Retrieved July 6, 2011.
3. ^ Wikipedia. "Jimmy Wales". Retrieved July 7, 2011.
4. ^ Encyclopedia Britannica. "Tome 10, Garrison to Halibut".
5. ^ Wikipedia. "Jimmy Wales". Retrieved July 8, 2011.
6. ^ Ibid.
7. ^ Ibid.
8. ^ Wikipedia. "Wikipedia". Retrieved July 6, 2011.
9. ^ Guam Tourism Board.
10. ^ Wikipedia. "Jimmy Wales". Retrieved July 9, 2011.
11. ^ Ibid.